Whether you are looking for some heat, or some easy one pot meals for your week at work, you are gonna love this one. Heaven…. I kid you not, this recipe is awesome! It gives you the spice that you are craving, without destroying your taste buds. We have seen many variations of this recipe. Thanks to the peeps at Crossfit Boulder for this one.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (9 F)
- 1 medium onion (4C)
- 1 large red pepper (.5C)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1.5 lbs boneless chicken breasts (24P)
- 1 can cannellini beans, 15 oz can (6C)
- 1 cup chicken stock (low fat/low salt)
- 2.5 cups cold water
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and diced – or 6 cups (15C)
- 2 teaspoons crushed red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 ounces canned diced chilies or 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 bunch scallions, diced
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat, and saute the onion, red pepper and garlic until firm-tender.
Add the chicken breast and saute for 2 minutes, until opaque. Add the beans, stock, water, potatoes/yams, red chili flakes, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and chilies. Bring toa boil, reduce the heat, and simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes/yams are tender. OR, once you bring the mixture to a boil, transfer the contents of the pot to a crock pot and cook for at least an hour. Top chili with scallions.
Each 1 1/4 cup serving is 3C, 3P, and 1 F. Add some extra fats on the side with some nuts or almond butter to balance your meal out. If being strict paleo, you can omit the cannellini beans, and add veggies or fruit with your almond butter!