Who doesn’t love breakfast?! I mean, really, I could eat breakfast all day long. It’s the most important meal of the day, and having some veggies in it are a great way to keep your belly full of energy for the day ahead.
Sweet Potato Hash (RealFood/Zone Style)
Sweet Potatoes 10.6 cups raw (~3-4 large)
Sausage, raw NO casing 5 cups cooked (~1lb uncooked)
Onion 7 cups raw (~2)
Garlic – 6 cloves
Olive oil (spray for pans)
Time: ~1 hour but worth it and you have plenty left over for other quick meals.
Zone: 1.5cups of hash equal 2.5C, 1P. Add eggs, oil to cook with and a little fruit to complete your breakfast.
1. Heat oven to 450
2. In a skillet brown the sausage. Make sure to get it as tiny as possible while it cooks.
3. Chop the onions into small squares. Measure out 7 cups.
4. In a skillet brown the onions. Cook until dark brown. Use cooking spray for the base.
5. While sausage and onions are cooking, begin chopping the sweet potato as small as possible.
6. Line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment paper, spray with the olive oil and spread out the sweet potatoes as you chop them. Make sure you have 10.6 cups. I used two pans and spread them evenly.
7. As the onions are done, measure them evenly into the pans.
8. As the sausage is done, measure out 5 cups and spread evenly into the pans.
9. Add spices; garlic, salt and pepper.
10. Roast for 30 to 45 minutes or until they are soft and browned.
11. Now the hash is good to go into the fridge for amazing breakfasts.
Preparation in a meal:
1. Measure out the hash you need for 1 meal. See zone measurements above.
2. Spray skillet
3. Add hash to skillet on low heat (can do this in oven if prefer)
4. Add desired eggs on top.
5. You will not stir the entire time it cooks, can add a top to the pan if you want it to cook faster. Takes about 15-20 until the eggs are fully cooked through.
6. Add a little fruit to top off your blocks and enjoy. The fat is in the cooking oil.