Awh yes… The American burger. What is more American than a hamburger? Not much: baseball, apple pie… Eating paleo does not mean that you cannot enjoy this American classic; we just have to be creative. Here are some staples that you will need when you are making a paleo burger. Lets break it down to the three macro-nutrients:
– Lean beef, I mean lean. None of this 80%/20% crap. 80/20 still has 5g of fat in each ounce. That would be 10 blocks of fat in a 3oz patty! You need at least 95%/5% ground beef. Measure 1.5oz per block.
– Ground Turkey, 1.5 oz per block means you can make that patty supper sized!! But watch out for the sodium.
– Chicken, chicken burgers can be great with the right toppings.
– Salmon burgers are making a run at being our favorite protein. It is tasty and full of healthy Omega 3 fats. 1.5oz per block
- Yummy salsa, Pace or 505 salsa are some favorites .5c = 1C
- Onions, raw or sautéed will make your burger tasty. .5c cooked= 1C, 2/3c=1C raw
- Mushrooms, you can have a boat load of them sautéed 3c=1C!!
- Bell peppers: sliced, diced, and sautéed 1 1/4c=1C
- Pineapples, perfect for that chicken burger! 1/2c=1C
- Bib lettuce, great as buns for your delicious burger. Seeing that you need 6cups for 1C, these can be freebies.
- Remember that you can mix in jalapenos, spinach, green chilies and other carbs into your burger mix to change things up.
- Avocados, yummmm. 1Tbs=1F
- Guacamole, is that paleo? Here is a handy recipe for some paleo guac:
1/2c chopped white onion
1 minced jalapeno
juice of one lime
no salt seasoning to taste
Mix all the ingredients. 1/2Tbs=1F
These should all be freebies
- chili powder
- Mr. Dash
- red pepper flakes
These are just a few examples of how you can be creative. Send us your favorite recipe with a picture and we will post it.